On Thursday 5th April 2012 at the CAVS office in Carmarthen, the High Sheriff Thomas Lloyd held an awards ceremony for volunteers and organisations from across Carmarthenshire.
Speaking at the event’s opening Mr Lloyd, whose year as High Sheriff came to an end beginning of April, said: “I was incredibly moved by the things you have been doing. It’s been a tremendous honour to be here, one of the great joys is to learn so much good is being done by so many.”
Volunteers were nominated by MP Jonathan Edwards, AM Rhodri Glyn Thomas and by CAVS.
Ten awards were given out to a number of individuals and organisations who have made a significant contribution to their community.
- First to be awarded was Gill Wright of Llandovery for being an ‘extremely active’ member of the community.
- Sian Tucker received the award for the Black Mountain Centre, Brynamman.
- The third award was presented to long-time hospital radio volunteer Ian Williams.
- Home Start Dinefwr was also given an award, accepted by Vicky Thomas.
- Simon Rice was awarded for his quick thinking and saving the life of his carer.
- Carmarthen Youth Council which aims to ‘create solutions, not problems’ were also given an award accepted by Jamie Davies.
- Current vice chairman of the youth council, Adam Cousins, was also awarded by the High Sheriff for his dedication to a variety of causes including Teifi Youth Forum and the CAVS Youth Grant Panel.
- Evan Davies MBE was awarded for his fundraising efforts in the community, during which he has raised £45,000 for Singleton Hospital cancer unit.
- Chairman of West Wales Prostate cancer support group Philip Burr accepted a certificate for his tireless fundraising and support work.
- Alan Armstrong, a volunteer at Carmarthen People First (CPF), was given an award for his work at the organisation and with Dyfed-Powys Police on its hate crime initiative.
Congratulating all awards winners, Mr Lloyd added: “I am sure the rest of us are absolutely inspired by what we have heard. We couldn’t get on without you, thank you, I am just amazed.”